Saturday, November 24, 2007

The (RE)birth

Well my friends, here we are again. My weekly foray into the online world of blogging. I would have never have in my wildest imagination believed that I would be sitting here writing a weekly blog. But as it stands that's exactly what I am doing. So...here it goes!

I have officially gone back to doing figurative work. For the last year or so I have been driven by this strong urge to create abstract work or contextual work that had an abstract meaning to it. After working in this method for awhile, I have had time to do things like seeing how the paint moves, how it blends, how it responds in harmony with other materials and different mixes and swatches of color. In these investigative paintings I was allowed for all intentful purposes to just create. I was able to freely express myself. The work was more about the mark making and the stroke. It felt good. I loved just putting the paint to the canvas and coming up with great visual nuances that had nothing to do with subject matter.

Over the past few months though, I have been driven; compelled I daresay. I have been compelled to return back to the figurative, back to the representational, back to the subject matter and matters that had driven my passion for art for so long. Some of my favorite artists are/were abstract artists or used elements of abstraction in their work (i.e., Pollock, Basquiat, and even Johns to some extent) which earlier on did also fuel my love for the arts. It is with these artists I wanted to learn and try to develop my own niche in this rough and tumble world that we artist live in.

In going forward, today I started a new body of work which is yet untitled, but will entirely consist of the figure. I will still bring along my self-discovery of abstraction along with it but my main focus will be along the lines of trying to re-establish my figurative presence in my work. I look forward to sharing my thoughts with you on this (RE)birth of my Artist Way.

Until next week...shitsurei shimasu, minnasan...

No comments: