Saturday, March 14, 2009

Finally, a Black History Post...

Hello faithful few its that time again and yes finally I will give you guys what I said I would give you. My Black History Post!!! So without further ado-

Last month was black history, it was the first black history month with our first black president. In this day and age we are finding that the American Black or Black American or African-American, dependent on how you tag yourself, are gaining in positions of power and worth. Four hundred years ago, we can probably bet that our ancestors never thought the day would come that the first family would be of African descent. It kind of begs you to wonder if before long the need to celebrate our history will dissipate. The more prominence and recognition we get as a people, will society deem it necessary to eliminate Black history month. Will they feel like that we are achieving so much they we shouldn't deserve a whole month devote to our history? Some might debate that Dr. Woodson started this to help commemorate our place in American history and that now we are re-writing or re-establishing history that there is no need to single out one particular month.

I believe that black history will live on. I also believe that the further along we grow that while it won't go away, it will become an afterthought to some of us. It is up to us to keep the tradition going. Even though we are advancing as a people we still must carry on the legacy of our ancestors and tell the generations to come about what our ancestors had to overcome and what we as a people had to go through just to get where we are today. We maybe be winning the fight, but the battle rages on.

I hope I have sparked some interest and piqued you guys brains a little. I am glad I had the opportunity to start this discourse with you. That's all I have for you guys this week.

Until sometime next week, namaste and stay strong...

No comments: