Saturday, March 28, 2009

Two-Fold or Something like it...

Hello faithful few, its time for a little blogging! This week are having two bits of blogful goodness for you guys. The first thing is that I am working on a piece for the annual Out of Order Auction and Gala at Maryland Art Place(http://www.mdartplace.org/emails/ooo.2009.html). I pretty much have this piece done, I just have to figure out how I am going to finish it. I will have pics for you guys in next weeks' post.

The next thing I have for you guys is a little poem that I composed earlier in the week. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Is my skin a sin?


Is my skin a sin?
I did not choose this skin
This skin that I grew up in-
When walking down the street
A lot of people I meet
Be it by accident or
Just in passing
Seem intimidated by my skin

Is my skin a sin?
I did not choose this skin
This skin that I grew up in
This skin of mine has done me proud
It has afforded me the luxury to stand out in the crowd
It has cultivated me in so many ways
I dare try to elaborate.
It has taught me to be strong
It has taught me to be proud

Is my skin a sin?
Naw, its a blessing.


That's all I have for you guys this week. Next week pictures!

Until sometime next week, namaste and stay strong...

1 comment:

E's said...

Good read. I've never lead with my skin, however, it's the first thing people see. But in my mind, I don't think it's the first thing I think about.

I recently moved from a neighborhood that was predominantly matching my skin to a hood that doesn't. I went to the bar down the street and was chatting it up and the people I was talking to bring up my skin. In a good way, they thought it was, saying they wish more with my skin was there for diversity. I was a little bit put off because it wasn't the nature of the convo, but I let it go.

The thing is be comfortable as YOU - whatever skin. Be proud of that too, cuz it's YOU too, but be more comfortable as YOU. If that makes any sense. Thanks for sharing.