Saturday, March 6, 2010

Black History Month

Hello faithful few, I know it's now March but I am still going to give you guys my black history post. So let's get to it!

As February came and went, it was hard to realize that it was actually black history month. I don't think it was because of a lack of need. I mean sure black people are achieving more and more everyday and we are also making history everyday but we are not actually rewriting any new history. There are some who would argue why do we have a specific month devoted to black people and not other people. I would say to them what I always heard growing up; we get one month to celebrate our history and 11 months for everybody else.

Truth of the matter is the last decade or so, black history has been minimal at best. I recall black history was the month where television programming and public programming was geared towards black history month. There were plays on Saturday nights on TV at 7. In school there were essay contests for kids who got to read them on TV. I mean we still have Champions of Courage on TV but that is not as prominent as it was. I am curious to see how black history is taught in schools these days. Are our kids and future generations of our kids going to be able to study or learn about our history or are they going to have to look to us be their only means of education when it comes to black culture and black heritage. I, for one don't mind being a living record of times past and present in the black diaspora. That's all I have for you guys this week.

Until sometime next week, namaste and stay strong...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: