Friday, September 5, 2008

Election 2008 Part 1

Hello faithful few, its that time again. This week I am going to talk to you about the upcoming election.

Last week we celebrated the 45th anniversary of Dr. King's famous I have a dream speech (August 28, 1963) and it was also the 53rd anniversary of the horrendous murder of Emmitt Till, (who was a 14 year old black boy who was killed by two Mississippi men for whistling at a white girl). On last thursday the actual date 45 years to the day we officially had Barack Obama receive the democratic nomination. While it was history making, it is far from getting us where we need to be. In-fighting and dissension with in the democratic party may prove to be the downfall of their campaign. Over at the Republican Camp, John McCain is setting himself up to what I would call a superpower move. He goes out and choose as his running mate a first term governor(who hasn't even been in politics that long) who some view as an up-and-comer, Sarah Palin of Alaska. I view it as a ploy to steer Clinton supporters toward giving their vote to the McCain-Palin ticket. You have McCain saying, "hey I will select a woman as my running mate that should persuade people who felt as though Hilary was wronged in being passed over when Obama chose Joseph Biden." I believe he also figured like I stated earlier that she is an up-and-comer in the political realm like Barack. So Here McCain has the best or both worlds while still pushing his "liberal" republican values on us all. This country is ready for change and we do need it, I just think with that change we also need a new party running the country. McCain, while breaking with his party on a numerous issues( the countries use of torture on terrorism and sponsoring an immigration bill with Ted Kennedy)but after you get underneath it all McCain is just playing a wolf in sheep's clothing.
We need to focus on strategies and change which will help us with health care, education, employment and our so-called wars on an ideals (see: terrorism and drugs). Barack embodies change, a change we rightful and deservedly need. Like he said on last thursday, "America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this." This the time for us to act. The time for us to accept that we need a change. That we cannot nor should we settle for a candidate in McCain who may bring a change from "Bushanomincs 201" albeit a slight change. It would be like a radical approach from the Republican Party but still under the mantra and name of the Republican Party. We as a country do not need a president who likes to break from his party as if to say I am a republican but I don't agree with their politics or the other guys politics. It would in my opinion come off as someone who would view himself as more of a dictator or ruler rather than someone who champions his/herself as a leader of the people. I am behind Barack Obama 100% because in my mind he is right for us right now. In my my honest opinion though in my mind we will not truly be whole as a country until we have a true bipartisan candidate. Until that time I will continue believing in what is right for us now and the immediate future. I will come, this November 4th, punch the Obama-Biden ticket so our country can begin its ascension into a more harmonious and very eventful "Changing" of the guard.

Until sometime next week, namaste and stay strong...

No comments: