Saturday, December 4, 2010

To Substitute or Not to Substitute...

So I have lately realized that some meat dishes are quite proprietary;) Today for example I had an Asian dish called Mongolian Beef except I didn't have beef I substituted it with vegetables. In its Mongolian Beef variation, it has tender cuts of beef, julienne carrots and peppers, scallions, mushrooms and snap peas. It is served with rice or noodles. It also served in this great sauce. Wow. But I digress...So I am quite familiar with this dish but I haven't had it since go vegetarian. I got it and I let it rest because everyone knows that some Chinese food just has to rest. When I went to take my first bite, I felt that it was sorta lacking. This beautiful and gorgeous concoction to my palette tasted sans the beef like it was made for beef. It was as if someone made the world's greatest egg salad and forgot to put the eggs in it. Granted it probably just wasn't made well but as someone who loved this dish without the meat it just wasn't cutting it. This is one of them instances where I am sure one of my meatatarian friends would go "see you gotta have meat!" I wonder what other dishes I will find in my future endeavors that I feel can't have its meat substituted out or will I go so far that I can no longer tell the difference? Hmmm...I just thought I would share this little thought with you, my faithful few. That's all for now.

-Namaste

No comments: