Saturday, March 15, 2008

My Painting practice 1: the beginning!

Ohayo faithful few, we come to another week. Where has the time gone? I come to you on the 15th of March, the 15th of March! It seems like the weeks are really flying by. I am still trying to be on my grind. Got somethings I am working on. I have switched my paint medium for the time being.

For a while I was painting in acrylics, but this weekend I am doing a painting in oil. Its been since I have worked in this medium. I really like working in oil because of its slow drying times. In a way I feel as though it is forgiving. If I make a mark I don't have to worry about it drying so fast, the longer open time allows me to decide whether not I am happy with it. Whereas with acrylic there is a sense of immediacy when it comes to decision-making. Do I like this stroke or do I want to go here with it? Acrylic, unless your using Chroma's Interactive Paints, which after it dries can be re-opened, normal acrylics have a faster drying time. Oils, on the hand have a way longer drying time. It is also more conducive to a more direct thought and decision-making processes. I can make a mark and in some cases, come back to it a couple days and it still be workable.

I learned to paint in acrylic and when I made the switch to oils, I was a bit apprehensive. I figured that it would be a hard medium to pick up because of the rules but I got the hang of it pretty quick. So for now, I will see how much work I get done by switching back to oils. Well that's all I have you this week.

Until next week sometime, namaste and stay strong...

No comments: