Saturday, March 1, 2008

An Excursion with The Arts...

Hello faithful few. Welcome to an evening full of delight and great art. Naw but seriously, as promised I had my little excursion today. It felt great to go and see some art today. Very good art I might add. I went and saw Kehinde Wiley's work as I mentioned in my post last week. I mean if you have seen his work in a magazine or online or anywhere; lets just say you have been cheated visually. His work up close is very majestic. I mean you get really almost overwhelmed with the sheer magnitude of his painting. Even the frames themselves are quite ornate. I really feel privilege to say that I have actually seen his work up close. I mean I am practically speechless right now. I don't know what else to say right now about his work. Rather than go on and constantly ramble about his work, I am going to stop now and include it later on down the line in another post where I can elaborate more on it.

The great thing about visiting museums and galleries is that you go to see one exhibition or a particular artist and you run into another great exhibit or body of work by another artist. The gallery that I went to also had an exhibit entitled, "Let Your Motto Be Resistance." It just so happened that this was the last weekend for this exhibit and I am glad that I got a chance to view it. It was an exhibit of 100 photographic images from the collection of the National Portrait Gallery. They were images of prominent African-Americans(there is that word again) in the arts, sports, music, stage, civil rights movement, and political world; both past and present. I think it would have been the highlight of my excursion had not Kehinde Wiley paintings been there. Some of the photos really captured the essence of its subject. It was nice to take it all in. I walked out of that museum feeling really inspired and better about my work and the direction it is going in.

Well, I think that's all I have for you guys, this week.

Until some time next week, namaste and stay strong...

No comments: