Saturday, December 22, 2012

Happy Born-Day, Jean-Michel Basquiat...

On this day in Brooklyn, NY 52 years ago, one of the greatest artist whoever lived was born.  Jean-Michel Basquiat in the 80s was one of the most iconic artists of his time.  He tackled issues of race, power struggle and self-identity and created works; which inspired many of artists in his time and in the present.

I, myself become aware of his work while studying in art school.  I had one of my classmates mention to me how my work seemed to be heavily influenced by Basquiat.  I am not ashamed to say that I knew nothing of this artist growing up as a kid in the 80s.  After doing a little interwebs and library research, I found that I was one, familiar with some of his work already and two, I could see where some of the similarities were in our styles.  From that moment, I resolved to become familiar with this great artist.  Just reading quotes by him and also finding archived footage of his interviews (which were really powerful) were very informative.  This great artist was taken from the world all too soon.  It was and is great to see that in his brief time on this planet, he influenced so much of our culture.  He is still influencing us.  I know he has influenced me and I consider him to be one of the artist that I do idolize. Untitled(Skull) is one of my favorite pieces of his.  Maybe one day I will own a print of it.  Just thought I'd share a little of my feelings/insights on this great artist on his birthday.  Just a little...

Congrats on surviving the apocalypse!!  Until next week...



-Namaste



No comments: